|Key Components of a Career Plan|
A strategic career plan should have these core components:
- Statement of your short- and long-term goals, clearly outlined but flexible, based on the iterative process of building a plan to meet your needs, your employer's needs and the market's needs.
- Concise but complete summary of:
- Your answers to the key questions in the CareerEDGE discovery process, including analysis of gaps between your needs and aspirations and the reality of your current situation and marketplace requirements.
- Your value proposition today, what you would like it to be (or what it needs to be) in the future and how this positions you to reach your goals.
- Action steps to close gaps and achieve your goals, including:
- Market Research—How do I stay informed?
- Learning Plan—How do I stay relevant?
- Personal Marketing—How do I build relationships?
- Managing Risk—How do I anticipate change and eliminate career barriers?
- Maintaining Energy—How do I stay motivated and positive?
- Managing Finances—Can I afford my plan?
- Identifying Sources of Support—Do I need a coach, mentor or advisor?
Broscio, Michael A., CMF, and Scherer, Jay E., "What's Your Plan?" Healthcare Executive, November/December 2014
- Process to monitor progress, gain feedback and update the plan on an ongoing basis based on changing realities in the marketplace and changes in your thinking.