Whether you are a student returning to a campus for the fall semester or one who takes classes via distance learning, I encourage you to allow your ACHE membership to complement your academic training.
ACHE has been the most significant resource for continuing education throughout my career, but that has only been a portion of the benefits I have received through my affiliation with ACHE.
There are numerous ways that ACHE can enhance this period in your life. Here are just a few:
· Your local ACHE chapter can be an excellent resource for networking and continuing education. All affiliates are automatically a member of their local ACHE chapter. Go to my.ache.org to identify your local chapter.
· The ACHE Higher Education Network (HEN) is a collaborative effort between ACHE and health administration program directors that is designed to provide a valuable on-campus experience for students. Participation in the HEN entitles health administration faculty to a variety of resources and tools that enhance networking opportunities and provide access to continuing education and current healthcare management issues. Go to the HEN Directory to see whether your program is a member.
· ACHE’s Congress on Healthcare Leadership is one of the largest gatherings of healthcare leaders in the world. Congress, which features a Student Track, provides an unparalleled opportunity for networking and career enhancement.
· I encourage you to use ACHE’s Code of Ethics and Ethical Policy Statements as primary reference points for ethical performance and decision making. Study and discuss ethical issues as you refine the values that will guide you throughout your career.
· I am fortunate to have worked with outstanding mentors. ACHE has a compilation of articles from Healthcare Executive’s former column “Leadership in Mentoring.” The articles provide practical steps for both mentors and protégés to help them get the most out of their mentoring experience.
I have found that ACHE not only gives us the education we need to excel, but it allows for the networking that makes the education come alive. During your time as a student, ACHE is there to help you lay the foundation for a successful career.