Each year, AGC seeks nominations for qualified and motivated individuals from the AGC Environmental Forum to serve on the steering committee for the forum. Would you like to play a leadership role in AGC of America’s environmental advocacy, education and outreach efforts?
The AGC Environmental Forum allows all AGC members and chapter staff who have an interest in construction-industry environmental issues to connect and interact with each other, keep pace with the latest environmental developments, and participate in the association’s policy making on environmental matters. Members of the steering committee have direct access to federal regulatory officials, influence over environmental policy, and a means to exchange valuable information with one another and industry peers.
Interested AGC members who meet the criteria below would be invited to serve a three-year term on the forum’s steering committee, beginning April 2015.
Specifically, AGC seeks steering committee members who meet the following guidelines:
- AGC member in good standing. Representatives from construction firms serve as full voting members of the steering committee. Representatives from service provider firms can serve as non-voting associate members to provide expert advice on issue-specific trends or regulatory issues (e.g., stormwater).
- Knowledge and interest in environmental requirements and trends that impact construction activities in all markets (candidates are not required to be an expert on environmental issues, however, basic knowledge and strong interest is essential).
- Demonstrated capacity to exercise good judgment in consideration of competing association objectives.
- Breadth and depth of understanding and knowledge in the construction industry, AGC of America and beyond.
- Willingness to devote time and effort to the well-being of the construction industry.
The steering committee serves several functions, including but not limited to:
- Oversee the activities of the forum and task forces.
- Make reports and recommendations on behalf of the forum to the executive board.
- Develop policy recommendations, meetings and other events regarding matters within the scope of the forum.
- Establish and sunset task forces within the forum.
Steering committee members are expected to attend a yearly steering committee meeting usually held in Washington, D.C., in conjunction with the annual AGC Contractors Environmental Conference. No other travel is typically required during the year. Throughout the year, the forum’s steering committee meets via monthly conference calls to provide feedback and recommendations to AGC of America’s environmental staff. Information and ideas frequently are exchanged via email; steering committee members must have regular access to computers and the Internet and be willing to check their email for steering committee communications on a regular basis. steering committee members must be willing to commit, on average, 2 hours per month on steering committee conference calls, including discussing and voting in a timely manner on various issues. Steering committee members also must be prepared to volunteer to oversee occasional tasks, including serving on task forces if needed.
Please send nominations and short bio or resume to Melinda Tomaino via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Friday, Feb. 27, 2015. Self-nominations are accepted. AGC of America staff will consult with its chapters on nominations received from companies within their membership.