Over the last year, the Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration has worked with subject-matter and technical experts, including AHCA and NCAL, to develop and champion a competency model of the core knowledge, skills and abilities required of workers who provide long term care support and services.
The model encompasses the entire spectrum of long term care organizations, and forms a foundation for the more specific requirements of different industry sectors. The model’s goals include:
- Communicating industry needs;
- Offering ideas for career exploration and guidance;
- Identifying career paths;
- Serving as a curriculum evaluation, planning, and development tool;
- Identifying criteria for proper certification and licensure, and
- Establishing a model for apprenticeship programs.