January 4, 2010
Check this week's classifieds to learn about Help Wanted positions, including one Executive Director and one Executive Director, Operations!
Also, be sure to watch for Passenger Transport's next issue, which will focus on 2010: The Year Ahead!
‘Tell Your Story’ to Members of Congress
During the holiday Congressional recess, APTA members have an opportunity to make sure their members of Congress understand the importance of public transportation and the need for increased federal investment. APTA has designated "Telling Your Story to Congress District Days” for Jan. 6-8.
Since Congress extended surface transportation authorization only through February, this period is the perfect time to show members of Congress why long-term authorization must be an immediate priority. A forthcoming jobs bill will provide another opportunity for lawmakers to make the most of public transportation's job benefits.
For example, participating transit agencies could:
• Invite the representative to tour a project funded with American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) money, highlighting the number of jobs created or supported by this funding;
• Invite the representative to a ground breaking, contract signing, or ribbon-cutting ceremony for an ARRA project;
• Invite the representative to ride the bus or train and, in the course of the ride, talk about how many people ride public transit to commute to work; or
• Schedule a meeting at the district Congressional office to discuss local projects that need funding. Unveil a project rendering or have local advocates accompany you to the meeting.
Business members could:
• Invite the representative to visit your manufacturing plant and meet with employees;
• Schedule a meeting at the district Congressional office to discuss a project you are engaged in—and the impact those projects have on job creation or support; or
• Invite the representative to meet with you and other local business leaders to discuss the outlook for the economy in 2010.
More information on the event is available online.