A new position paper from IDSA, the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA), and the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society (PIDS) outlines measures necessary to improve the use and ensure the impact of antibiotics on emerging health care associated infections. Published in the April issue of Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, the paper appears in a special topic issue focused on antimicrobial stewardship.
National initiatives recommended in the paper include:
- incorporate antimicrobial resistance and antimicrobial stewardship into the curriculum for health care professionals
- collect data on antimicrobial use in both inpatient and outpatient settings
- monitor stewardship initiatives in ambulatory and outpatient health care settings
- require health settings to implement antimicrobial stewardship programs through regulatory mechanisms
- fill the knowledge gaps in our understanding of antibiotics resistance to increase our understanding of the transmission of resistance
For more information, see the related press release.
< Previous Article | Next Article >