The IEEE New South Wales (NSW) Section VTS Chapter was formed on 2 January 2015. The purpose of the IEEE NSW VTS Chapter is to foster the fast-growing interests in Autonomous Vehicles, UAVs, Vehicular Communications, Networks, Management, and Security in the New South Wales region. By forming this chapter, these interests and activities can be coordinated.
The IEEE NSW VTS Chapter had its inaugural meeting at CSIRO on 19 February 2015. The chapter committee was formed with Professor Ren Ping Liu of CSIRO as Chair, Professor Eryk Dutkiewicz of University of Technology Sydney as Vice-chair, Professor Abbas Jamalipour of the University of Sydney as Treasurer, Dr. Wei Ni of CSIRO as Secretary, and Associate Professor Jamil Khan of the University of Newcastle as Membership. Among the first set of activities, Professor Dutkiewicz announced the successful bid for the VTC2017-Spring in Sydney, and called for supports from chapter members.
During its first year of operation, the NSW VTS chapter organized technical activities in the form of industry talks, seminars, and distinguished lecturer tours. These interactive events facilitated connections and collaborations among VTS members and beyond. The technical activities include:
- Industry talk at CSIRO on "5G: The Nervous System of the Digital Society and Digital Economy" by Dr. David Soldani, VP of Huawei European Research
- Technical talk at CSIRO on "Software Defined Network Architectures for Wireless Networks" by Prof. Krishna M. Sivalingam of IIT Madras
- Technical seminar at the Institution of Railway Signal and Engineers (IRSE) Australasia on "Broadband on Trains" by Prof. Ren Ping Liu of CSIRO
- Distinguished Lecture at NICTA on "Hybrid Traffic Speed Modelling and Prediction using Real-World Data" by Prof. Jiming Chen of Zhejiang University
- Distinguished Lecture at University of Technology Sydney on "Characterizing Energy-Delay Trade-off in Hyper-Cellular Networks with BS Sleeping Control" by Prof. Zhisheng Niu of Tsinghua University
The NSW VTS Chapter had its annual committee meeting at University of Technology Sydney on 23 December 2015. Chapter activities were reviewed and future plans were discussed. In addition to the technical activities, the committee called for more engagements with government and industry in the form of workshop and industry panel.
A major activity for NSW VTS Chapter is the preparation of VTC2017-Spring in Sydney, with which many chapter members are involved in the organizing and technical committees.
For information on VTC2017-Spring: vtc2017spring.org
For more about the IEEE NSW VTS chapter: http://sites.ieee.org/nsw/vts/