MMA Legislative Committee/Liability Coalition Meet at MMA on 11/9
The MMA Legislative Committee, chaired by Katherine S. Pope, M.D., will meet at the MMA office at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 9, 2004 to begin planning the Association's legislative agenda for the 122nd Maine Legislature that will start work in Augusta in early January 2005.
The Legislative Committee will be joined by the Coalition for Health Care Access & Liability Reform because a focus of the next legislative agenda will be the liability reform effort.
The Legislative Committee welcomes any physician with an interest in advocacy to attend. As you may remember, any physician may participate in the weekly conference calls in which the Legislative Committee develops a position on each bill identified by the MMA staff as relevant to the practice of medicine in Maine. Representatives of each organized specialty society in Maine also are encouraged to attend this meeting and to participate in the MMA's advocacy.
IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE YOU WOULD LIKE THE MMA TO ADDRESS IN THE MAINE LEGISLATURE DURING THE NEXT TWO YEARS, IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU ATTEND THIS MEETING TO ENSURE IT COMES BEFORE THE COMMITTEE!
Dinner will be available at 6 p.m. and the meeting should run from approximately 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. If you would like to attend, please contact Charyl Smith, Legislative Assistant, at email@example.com or by phone at 622-3374. If you have further questions about the agenda for this meeting or the MMA's advocacy activities, please contact Andrew MacLean, Vice President & General Counsel, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A draft agenda for the meeting appears below:
MAINE MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
JOINT MEETING OF THE LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE &
THE COALITION FOR HEALTH CARE ACCESS & LIABILITY REFORM
Frank O. Stred Building, Manchester, Maine
Tuesday, November 9, 2004
1. Welcome and Introductions (Dr. Pope, Chair)
2. Administrative Items (Dr. Pope)
· Update email addresses for Political Pulse
· Legislative Committee meetings: monthly on Tuesday, 6-9 p.m. at MMA; Proposed dates: 1/11, 2/8, 3/8, 4/12, 5/10 (second Tuesday)
· Legislative Committee conference calls: Wednesdays in weeks when Committee doesn't meet in person, 7-8 p.m. (conference call number: 800-989-2842, code 6223374)
· Political Pulse publication begins Friday, 1/14
· Doctor of the Day Program
· Physicians' Day at the Legislature: Wednesday, March 23, 2005
· Likely bill cloture deadline: Friday, December 17, 2004
3. Review of 2004 Election Results (Mr. Smith/Mr. MacLean)
4. Discussion of key issues before Commission to Study Maine's Community Hospitals (Dirigo initiative) (Dr. Cutler)
5. Update on Maine Quality Forum activities (Mr. Smith/Mr. MacLean)
6. Update on Coalition for Health Care Access & Liability Reform (Dr. Thibodeau & Mr. Smith)
· Kick-off ads & press conference of October 28, 2004
· Bureau of Insurance study
· Communication with Maine Trial Lawyers Association
· Content of Coalition bill
7. 2006-2007 Biennial State Budget (Mr. MacLean)
8. Anticipated Legislation from Others of Interest to MMA (Mr. MacLean)
· Baldacci Administration health care package: primary seat belt enforcement, new Dirigo proposals - CON
· MaineCare Advisory Committee's DUR/PDL proposal
· Bureau of Health: maternal death registry, child safety package
· Maine Rivers: water quality standards
· Maine Coalition on Handgun Violence: assault weapons ban
· Maine Coalition on Smoking OR Health: ?
· Standards for brain donations
9. Discussion of potential MMA/specialty society legislation for the 122nd Maine Legislature - other than medical liability reform (All)
· MaineCare reimbursement rates
· NP/PA prescribing authority
· Anthem confidentiality agreement
[return to top]