What We're Reading
If April showers bring May flowers, then we must be in for a treat next week. If you’re still cooped up inside, check out this week’s reading list, covering everything from short-term plans to what a juul is and how alcohol can cause a host of issues well before...
If April showers bring May flowers, then we must be in for a treat next week. If you’re still cooped up inside, check out this week’s reading list, covering everything from short-term plans to what a juul is and how alcohol can cause a host of issues well before you even swallow.
- The Trump Administration is expected to announce a forthcoming rule expanding access to short-term limited duration health insurance plans. This in-depth article by the Kaiser Family Foundation describes in detail what these plans are and how they will be used in the near future, while this article by The Atlantic explains what this move will mean for consumers.
- Representative Mike Kelly (R-PA-3) recently wrote an op-ed in The Hill where he provides a great argument in favor of eliminating the Cadillac Tax.
- Health Affairs posted this article that includes an explanation on the interaction between rebates and impact on plan MLR.
- Do you know what a Juul is? It’s a type of e-cigarette that has become wildly popular among teenagers, and the FDA is planning to crack down hard on the company and retailers who sell Juul products.
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) announced a new initiative on Tuesday which aims for user-friendly electronic health records. The move is intended to remove the barriers that prevent patients from having access to their own health records.
- The amount of babies born to teen moms reached an historic low between 2015 and 2016 according to a new CDC report.
- The Duchess of Cambridge had her third child this week. Did you know that a typical birth here in the U.S. costs just as much as delivering a royal baby? The average normal delivery in the United States costs over $10,000.
- The FDA recommended approval of the first prescription cannabidiol (CBD) medicine to treat forms of epilepsy this week. CBD is a substance derivative from the cannabis plant.
- Watch out! There is a new phone scam that targets seniors receiving new Medicare ID cards. These scammers are desperately trying to get seniors’ Social Security numbers before they are no longer displayed on any Medicare cards.
- A new study featured in the Journal of the American Dental Association finds that over-the-counter pain pills are overall better and more effective than prescription opioids for pain relief following a dental procedure.
- President Trump was expected to deliver a speech on how the administration plans to lower drug prices on Thursday, but after initially postponing the speech indefinitely, the White House announced that it will be held on May 8.
- A new study shows that alcohol can upset the balance between “good” and “bad” bacteria in your mouth, increasing your risk of gum disease, cavities, and – of course – bad breath!